You have resources.

Resources for the Lower Mainland

Recommended Reading

  • When Love Hurts (revised ed 2008)
    By Jill Cory and Karen McAndless-Davis

A readable book covering such topics as:

  • What’s wrong with my relationship?
  • Why does my partner hurt me?
  • Is there something wrong with me?
  • Why do I stay in this relationship?
  • Will counselling help?
  • What about my children?

“This is an excellent resource not only for women to use on their own but also for counsellors and advocates.” – Dr. Mary Russell, PhD, Professor of Social Work, UBC

To order a copy, contact Womankind Press.

Emergency Numbers

  • Police/RCMP
  • Children
    Helpline for Children: Dial 0 (operator) and ask for Zenith 1234
  • VictimLINK
    1-800-563-0808. A 24-hour, seven-day-a-week free helpline for victims of family and sexual violence, and all other crimes. VictimLINK can provide service in 110 languages.
  • Domestic Violence Counselling and Crisis Services
    • 604-827-3311: Burnaby, Vancouver, North Vancouver, West Vancouver: Richmond, Delta
    • 604-540-2221: New Westminster, Coquitlam, Port Coquitlam, Port Moody, Pitt Meadows, Maple Ridge
    • 604-951-8855: South Fraser region
    • Options South Asian Information and Crisis Line (Surrey): 604-596-4357
    • Aboriginal Wellness Program: 604-563-0808
    • Immigrant & Visible Minority Women: 604-254-9626 or visit MOSAIC
    • Seniors Information Helpline: 604-437-1940

Transition Houses

Below is a listing of Lower Mainland first stage emergency residential shelters. These transition houses provide up to 30 days of temporary, safe and supported shelter to women and their children experiencing domestic violence.

In the event all transition houses are full at the time of your call, for interim emergency residential options contact the Ministry of Housing & Social Development “After-Hours Emergency Line” at 604-660-3194. If phoning from outside of the Lower Mainland call 1-800-663-9122.

When you have finished your stay at a transition house, and are still in need of protection or requiring help for long term plans for independent living, you can apply for a second-stage residence. Second-stage shelters may provide accommodation for a period of months. Women in either first or second stage are given priority for affordable housing options where it is available.

For a complete listing of Transition Houses in the Province of British Columbia visit Ministry of Community Services BC Canada.


Financial Support

  • Child Support
    Ministry of Attorney General: Child Support Officers are available for information, personal assistance and referrals.


Free Legal Assistance

  • Dial-a-Law
    Run by the Canadian Bar Association’s BC branch: offers connections to lawyers who practice in specific areas of law, as well as pre-recorded discussions about common legal problems. Visit
  • Clicklaw
    A website aimed at enhancing access to justice in BC. The link “Solve Problems” provides legal information and can help people find law-related services in communities across BC. Visit
  • Legal Services Society
    Provides legal aid in BC for people who cannot afford a lawyer. Visit
  • Access Pro Bono Society of British Columbia
    Provides you with resources and links to help you find free legal advice and assistance. Visit


Parenting Resources

  • Information Children
    Simon Fraser University: a non-profit parenting organization providing information, support and referrals. Also offers help for parents and children through a divorce or separation. Visit


Services for Men


  • Counselling Programs
    VictimLINK maintains a resource list for province-wide counselling services for male offenders and male victims of abuse.
    Call 1-800-563-0808 or visit
  • Warriors Against Violence
    Abuse prevention programs for aboriginal men and youth.
    Call 604-255-3240 or visit


Resources Disclaimer:
The above list of referral agencies is intended solely for your convenience.  No implied warranty is made concerning the quality of services offered by them and you should therefore make your own determination for the suitability of any such agency and the services offered by them.